Welcome to Flute.com Forums. This board is open for everyone to read, but you will need to register before you can post.
Click here to register. It's is fast and easy, so join now and start posting!

Flute Methods

edited September 2013 in General discussions
Hi All, 

What are some flute method books you like to use with beginners?  I find that most of my students start playing flute in a school band program.  The books that are used in schools tend to draw a common denominator so that they can be used effectively with all the instruments of the band program.  However, I find that this is usually not the best or organic way to teach flute.  

I have used the Trevor Wye books with success, but I find that I supplement them with other studies based on individual students.  

Are there any other methods out there geared specifically toward flute that you like to use?

Thanks for reading.

Flute101

Comments

• The Well Tempered Flutist by Robert Stallman is a great resource!
  • I no longer teach at this level, but when I did, I used "Flute 101" by George/Louke and "My First Wagner".  They dovetailed nicely.

• edited November 2013

-Trevor Wye is a fantastic choice. For beginners and even Intermediate/Advanced players. I still have a few of his books because I think they're just that great. He really gets into the tonal, articulate, and technical things. As well as proper Embouchure and technique.

When I started flute my teacher had me use Rubank- Hal Leonard but she was a retired band teacher, so I don't think that's what you're looking for.

• I started learning from a private teacher with Rubank in my teens. All of my teachers the first few years used Rubank Or Wagner- this was in the 60s.

After not playing for many years, I got myself an intermediate Rubank and found it fun and useful. I have the first Advanced now as well.

My only quibble with Rubank editions is that they don't have proper listings of the pieces. Just "Hummer" or "Devienne".
  • I use a whole range of method books - it depends on the student.  My go to book used to be the original A Tune A Day, and for younger ones I like Let's Play Flute by Andrew Scott.  I also dip into the new A Tune A Day, and Scott's other flute method book.

I find it really varies though.  ATAD is great, but the original is really tiny print, which I find can cause difficulties for both younger and older students. I tend to find myself rewriting a lot of stuff using MuseScore, so it's larger and easier to read.

And it does depend on the student.  My five year old, for example, started playing in the middle octave rather than the lowest octave.  She just couldn't moderate her embouchure sufficiently to play low notes.  This meant that in order to teach her how to read music for the notes she was actually playing, I had to transpose beginner music up into the middle octave.  As a result I've spent some months transposing everything up an octave for her.  The advantage of course is that she doesn't have any problems reading leger lines :)  As she gets older and more experienced, she's starting to be able to play the low octave notes, so as she does this I'm teaching her how to read the low octave notes. 

For me I guess it's basically it's about tailoring stuff to meet the student where they are at.
  • i am a begginer flute teacher what i like to get is the music paper that i can write out notes on and have the student play them i use books but after a while i end up switching to songs onece the student is good at it